Sunday, August 29, 2004

A humble rambling preamble

I have been getting far more traffic than I had originally anticipated for this stage of blogging. This blog is not intended to just be another witty rambling rant journal, but instead my editorial style manifesto. This blog is the outlet for my unheard voice and hopefully I represent other unheard voices. I have seen so much injustice and falseness in the world and it makes me sick thinking about it. By writing, I quiet my brain's furious chatter allowing me to be more productive, focused, and easy to live with. I think too much and that is who I am.

I came to the conclusion as a young child that most friends were false, but all enemies are real. Too many people are undependable, self-centered, and shallow. If you don't believe me, ask a terminal patient if anyone has become scarce. My mother died of brain cancer when I was very young. Soon after this philanthropic and godly woman died, I never saw from any of her friends, coworkers or family again. Cancer did not kill the whole network around her, people's ignorance, selfishness, and avoidance did. I felt abandoned by society as a whole and became accustomed to living as an outsider observer. The dark clouds hung above our house for many many years and I was alone to write and contemplate.

As a young child, I grew up believing that the US was the greatest country in the world, because we are free. More and more as the years went on, I realized that we are not free. We allow ourselves to be bound by others perceptions, expectations, and standards. We place possessions, power, and career before intangibles, such as love, passion, and compassion. Politicians pay lipservice to ideals of rugged individualism, but they want us to comply, obey, and buy buy buy for the sake of the economy. Misguided well intentioned women think liberation for all women is a pharmaceutical pill and a productive career-- in work environments that are neither family friendly and nor friendly families. Social conservatives feel persecuted by the liberals they would have cast out of their communities just a generation ago and liberals want to "fix what ain't broke." Patriotic Christians loves Jesus, but not necessarily people who live like the Prince of Peace; pride used to be a sin, but now it is a national slogan.

I am here, against all odds, a person who is still oblivious to what is popular, proper or protocol. Who I am is not bound by my gender, appearance, socio-economic background, religion, generation, formal education, career choice, political affiliation nor race. Life hasn't always been easy for me, but then again, if it had been my story would not be as interesting. I want my tiny voice heard, so others can understand how un-free they are and how they have lost sight of the real arguments. My generation does not have a strong voice, but it needs one. Just maybe, I am not delusional, and somehow my little voice can make a difference... or at least a good read while avoiding work at the office.

I appreciate your time and consideration.

Textbook Myers-Briggs INTP,