Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Nuggets of Wisdom

Tomorrow I will post an answer to an email from a reader in Malaysia and my comment regarding the Presidential Debate (tonight so watch!), so today I will just post some excerpts from forum posts and comments from other blogs. Sometimes I surprise myself with little bits of spontaneous... hmm... "wisdom" is a strong word. Just read on.


On typos being a pet peeve (from an INTP forum):

"Even great authors need a peon copy editor; even Einstein needed an assistant to check his math."

"INTP's look at the big picture, often neglecting details."

"My pet peeves are menial tasks, mediocre intelligence, and intolerance. My dislike of intolerance predisposes me to forgive the other trespasses, as I try not to be hypocritically intolerant... if that even makes sense. I can handle a feww typoes. Its driving you nuts, huh?"



On cohesion in the conservative camp (comment I posted in a "liberal" blog):

"Many people would agree that the "conservative" camp inherently has uniformity and from a PR standpoint, a perceived monopoly on family values, giving them some advantage, where as "liberals" inherently have a wider range of beliefs, because they think independently. However, in my view point, there is also a wide range of beliefs in the so called "conservative" camp from Andrew Sulliven to Bill O'Riley to Bush's minions, a fact that should be explored. In fact, most "conservatives" seek to conserve nothing other than greed and unchecked corporate power and should be justly called "neo-liberals." Refusing to play on their turf and arguing the validity of their use of the word "conservative" would be a wise step towards real debate, in my view, because it would remove the connotational upperhand of terms like "right" and "conservative". As for "liberals," some may best believe this term describes them, but I insist this is using the neo-liberal frame and instead I prefer "progressive" as progress is always a good thing, change is not. Being progressive while preserving the best of what our predecessors valued is the truest way and many "liberals" need to think about synthesis not just analysis."


On George Bush's "hometown" paper, The Lone Star Iconclast, endorsing Kerry (comment made on this blog):

"I still think it is cool for a little paper in Texas, in a little town that has been known to take issues with anti-W protestors, to make a stand.

Iconoclast? THAT is a great name for a newspaper.

Here is a Wikipedia definition:
"The more common meaning in current usage is that an iconoclast is a person who carries out symbolic or quixotic acts of protest against authority figures."

Appropriately named, no?

Texas and this country were founded by seemingly quixotic acts, so this warms my heart a bit.

Thanks, Kari for the inspiration.

"One man scorned and covered with scars still strove with his last ounce of courage to reach the unreachable stars; and the world was better for this." -Don Quixote



Be sure to watch the debates tonight. Oh, and I tried spell check and it wanted to replace "INTP" with "windbag." Serves me right.

Have a wonderful day,

S-