Monday, September 06, 2004

Pain in the ass, Whole People

"Whole Foods, Whole People, Whole Planet" the paper sacks read. I shop almost exclusively at this Austin-based specialty grocer, buying everything from flax seed bread to Hemp Omega-3 waffles to convincing veggie cheese and organic Pink Lady apples. I am both a foodie and a health nut (admittedly with an occasional weakness for fresh Krispy Kremes and a Whataburger with fries), who tries to stay away from corporate conglomerate foodstuffs for both health and ethical reasons. I like my eggs from free range hens, who are fed flaxseed, because they are more nutritious and tastier. Though an unapologetic omnivore, my bacon comes from cruelty free farms and cooks down very little, so you are not just paying for fat and nitrates. Whole Foods is my little detox quality time with my son-- a cookie, a Jamba Juice and smiles. However, these days every time I go into the store, patrons rush about with cell phones to ears, bad attitudes, and personal space issues. People are irritated, literally snarling at those of us taking our time with loaded down baskets yet the same people leave their nearly empty baskets carelessly in the center of aisles. Getting to the cranberry walnut muffins takes an act of God and so does just maneuvering past the bakery and into the checkouts. Yuppies nod at me like I am a part of their club, then choose "plastic" and complain to the cashier emo guy about the boutique prices before heading to their monster luxury SUV. Although people spending money here is better than at another store, I wish they would stop screwing up my vibe. Spending money on Starbucks free trade coffee isn't where your humanity should stop...

Cloth bags in hand,